May is designated as National Arthritis Awareness Month, an event that helps spread awareness about arthritis facts, symptoms, and treatment.
Here are some facts you need to know about arthritis:
• More than 1 in 4 adults with arthritis experience severe joint pain.
• In the United States 23% of all adults have arthritis.
• Arthritis limits the activity of more than 24 million people
HOW CAN YOU TELL IF ARTHRITIS IS AFFECTING YOUR FEET?
• Pain in the joints of your feet could be a sign of arthritis.
• Heel pain is another common sign.
• Stiffness in your joints is often a significant symptom among sufferers of arthritis,
HOW CAN ARTHRITIS IN THE FEET BE TREATED?
First, it’s vital to see a good podiatrist who can evaluate your foot problems. After a thorough evaluation, there are several treatments your doctor may recommend. Some of these may include:
• Custom Orthotics. These are customized inserts specially designed for the form of your foot. They can provide support to problem areas and relieve foot pain.
• Surgery. In some cases, your doctor may recommend surgery to help alleviate arthritis-related foot pain.
• Medication. Your doctor may be able to prescribe certain medications that will relieve the symptoms of pain associated with arthritis.
WHAT’S THE NEXT STEP?
Having visited a foot specialist and been properly evaluated, you can discuss whatever options he or she may suggest to you. The important thing is not to wait while symptoms worsen.
If you’re experiencing any pain and would like a consultation, Dr. Scott Nelson of Foot and Ankle Medical Clinic in Garland, TX (county of Dallas), is a board-certified and highly experienced podiatrist who has helped people suffering from all types of foot and ankle injuries and deformities. From bunions to diabetic foot problems, sports injuries, and fungal nails, you can trust that Dr. Nelson and his staff are wholeheartedly devoted to your foot health. Please contact our office with any questions you may have or to schedule an appointment by calling 972-414-9800.